Friday, September 19, 2008

We have Smiles!

Yay! We have smiles...sorta. All in all, Teddy had a much better day today. They took her for a little walk, she played on her belly for a while, they backed off the pain meds a bit, and she just had a much better day. I think they may start her on clear liquids tomorrow so that should perk her up even more.

About those smiles...if you've never had a child who has undergone surgery you may never know just how much those little smiles mean. But they do, those first post-op smiles are so reassuring, heartwarming and just so needed for parents. I don't think these kids will ever know the power of their smile on their parents.

When Karter was just 4 months old he underwent surgery to repair a tethered spinal cord. There were nerve fibers coming off his spinal cord that were attatched below the spinal column and would've caused many problems later in life such as no bowel or bladder control, atrophied leg muscles, and limited movement. So, at 4 months old, he had the surgery to clip thos tethered nerve fibers. When they wheeled him out of surgery he was so swollen and had tubes and wires everywhere. It was so upsetting to see my little baby like that. I was just so worried and upset. I nearly started crying, but just as I was about to turn on the water works, the nurse lifted the blankets so I could see him better and I smiled and said, "Hi buddy." and he gave me this little dopey, half smile and at that moment I knew he was going to be just fine. That smile meant the world to me...and still does. Grizz felt the same way about Teddy's first post-op smile. It's all in the smile, kids.

No comments: